CLICK HERE IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT...

WISCONSIN HOMESCHOOL LAW

Sunday, September 27, 2026

Meet Dr. Julie Kero, Occupational Therapist


Dr. Julie Kero of North Star Kids Therapy is a Northeast Wisconsin-based occupational therapist with a strong interest in learning more about homeschooling and the local homeschool community. She welcomes the opportunity to serve homeschooling children and their families, so - by way of introduction - we've asked her to provide a bit of background about herself and her services.

I have been working as a pediatric occupational therapy practitioner since 2016, supporting children in various environments, including in-home, online/virtual, day care centers, private schools, and in-clinic. I moved to the Green Bay area from Chicago in 2024, and have since received my doctorate in occupational therapy. Additionally, I am an ADHD rehabilitation-services provider, am certified in both youth and adult mental-health first aid, and have been trained in how to utilize the Handwriting without Tears curriculum.


I have a vision to continue building my business by expanding to community outreach/collaboration and providing support for community programs to make recreational and leisure activities more inclusive for children with varying abilities and needs. Additionally, I aim to incorporate nature-based occupational therapy into my practice, eventually developing a designated nature space to make this an everyday possibility for my clients and their families.


My business, North Star Kids Therapy, is a private occupational therapy practice offering convenient service options in each child’s natural setting (i.e., where his/her everyday activities take place) or where the most support is needed. This can include in-home, at a child’s daycare or private school, online, or in a community setting of a parent's choice. Therapy sessions can be individual or in small groups of children with similar goal areas.


North Star's mission is to nurture foundational skills through play, connection, and exploration, so children can thrive in everyday life and grow toward their brightest future. North Star is not just a therapy business; it is a community where children and their families feel safe, hopeful, and understood.


Important aspects of a child’s daily life include activities ("occupations") such as playing, learning, and socializing. When there is a gap of functional performance in a child’s desired daily activities, occupational therapy can facilitate the necessary skills to increase functional participation and decrease performance gaps.


As an occupational therapist, I am trained to identify the underlying reasons behind children's inability to perform certain tasks, and can guide them in purposeful therapeutic activities that help them reach developmental milestones and increase functional participation.


I can help with:

  • gross-motor coordination and motor planning
  • hand-eye coordination
  • strength and balance (postural stability)
  • fine-motor skills and bilateral coordination
  • visual-motor and visual-perceptual abilities (including handwriting)
  • self-help skills
  • social, emotional, and attention skills
  • sensory-processing skills
  • executive-functioning skills

Visit the North Star website to learn more about how I help children reach their fullest potential!